Back in 2011, when I was managing an e-commerce startup, I could count on only two hands the selection of ecommerce digital marketing tools that I could choose from. But today, as a digital marketer for an ecommerce brand, you probably find yourselves overwhelmed by the vast array of tools out there. From online store building tools, to analytics and conversion optimization and all the way to customer engagement – there is a tool for practically anything these days.
But how do you choose? What are the best tools in each category and which tools will make your brand stick out among the competition?
I have researched and compiled a recommended list of ecommerce digital marketing tools to help you choose the ones most relevant for you.
Dive into this post to find ecommerce digital marketing tools for:
- Building an online store
- Increasing online traffic
- Optimizing conversion
- Increasing the visibility of your products
- Adding customer reviews
- Optimizing the checkout process
- Increasing engagement with your buyers
- Analyzing performance
- Optimizing the shopping experience on mobile
The first step to get your brand to sell online, is to actually build an online store. You can build a store from scratch, or use any of these sophisticated tools that are already built to provide a great customer experience across different devices.
1. Magento: Magento offers a fully customized, modern approach to the commerce experience. Their skilled solutions allow search engine optimization and catalogue management. Utilize these tools in order to control the look, content and functionality of your website. Additionally, with Magento you can even utilize their self-serve features, allowing customers to order products with ease.
2. SAP Hybris: This is a flexible tool that helps you adapt to your customers. They offer omni-channel software that can handle even the most complex of B2B environments. They deliver real-time data, while offering the best customer experience possible. With SAP Hybris you can offer that one to one marketing approach. Their approach keeps their customers coming back. This allows businesses to react quickly and make changes accordingly.
Both Magento and SAP Hybris have recently joined Teradata Marketing Applications as a partner. This means that if you use either tool to build your online store and then use our Digital Marketing Center to build the relationships with your customers across email, mobile, web and social.
3. Shopify: Want more control? Shopify provides you with the power to control the design of your website with the ability to choose from over a hundred different templates. Maybe you want to custom design your theme without any HTML or CSS restrictions? This tool will improve your SEO, track your sales trends and wake the whole shopping experience easier to manage. Choose from their array of apps in their marketplace, choose according to the functions you would like to add to your store.
4. BigCommerce: This great option in order to show you the basics of how to build your online store. Check out their full spectrum of apps. These apps can help add functionality to your store, reduce physical work on your part and at the same time help you grow your business. The bottom line is these apps are going to promote your products more effectively and save you time and energy.
5. WooCommerce: The solution for complete control to anything you sell might be WooCommerce. Its popularity is clear boasting 37% power of all online stores putting it as one of the most popular eCommerce platforms on the web. The designs are clean and simple and give you the ability to customize your store to match your brand. The Storefront platform offers a responsive layout that is flexible and setup for enhanced SEO performance.
The next step is to get visitors to come to your website. Just like when opening a new store, you need to promote it to make people aware of its existence. If you are a brand with a large following on social media or a comprehensive mailing list, you should probably start with notifying your existing customers and followers that you now have an online store as well. But as for the next steps, you would probably want to get a bit more creative. Here are five tools to spark your creativity.
1. Liketoknow.it: This tool was claimed by Entrepreneur.com to be “on the cutting edge of ecommerce sales“. The tool allows users to tag their Instagram photos linking them to an online item where people can then make purchases. By incentivizing users to tag and publish their photos, they then receive a portion of each sale made as a result. In addition, they allow users to track which photo is generating the most revenue and the most engagement. In fact, now RewardStyle has teamed up with Starwood Hotels & Resorts and want to get in on the action too. Like to Know It service has accumulated $100 million in retail sales from 1.7 million users since January 2014. Like to Know It was first intended to help social media followers know where to buy products of posts they saw, now it is a whole new ball game. As Sarah Engel of RewardStyle says, influencers can create a lifestyle and something you can be a part of versus a static image of a palm tree, beach, and ocean.
2. AppNexus: A cloud-based software platform that optimizes the programmatic online advertising. Their platform allows you to connect directly with the top the world’s largest buyers. The AppNexus console allows you to track down the right inventory to buy daily.
3. Link Big: This tool is designed to automatically drive traffic from Instagram to ecommerce sites/apps. Link Big’s smart bio-link allows each follower to be lead to the exact item they just saw, liked and wanted to reach out to. Other brands currently only have one link in their Instagram bio which only leads the follower to their homepage. What are the results? Link Big saw a 50%-300% traffic boost, a CTR of 8% a retention rate that multiplied by 3X.
4. Google AdWords: Google AdWords is still the best platform to get your website viewed by millions of people who are searching for products on Google. Use it to promote your website on Google’s search results (either desktop or mobile), as well as on Google’s GDN (Google display network). Today, you can even use Google Adwords to build video marketing campaigns to be featured on YouTube. Yes, Google is big, they hold many keys – and it’s up to us as marketers to use them in the most effective way to promote our brand.
5. SiteScout: SiteScout’s performance controls give you the ability to optimize your campaigns and help you reach your desired goals. They offer real-time bidding and reporting which allows advertisers to keep an eye on their campaigns and optimize them for the highest possible ROI. It is also possible to use the SiteScout platform to reach clients via other networks, such as Google, Appnexus, and Adtech.
With traffic acquisition costs on the rise, you want to make sure you are making the most of every single visit. One way to assure that you maximize the results from your ecommerce is to optimize the conversion rate. Putting it in simple words: making more visitors buy more products.
1.ClickTale: ClickTale gives you insights into the consumer’s behavior, their wants, and their needs and throughout the entire digital journey. Clicktale takes a pro-active approach to examining and acting upon your conversion funnel. With their visual map of where your users are dropping off along the funnel, what they do after they leave and how what you can do to get them back. This data is collected from mobile and desktop and theories are tested without collected any new data. Understand the reasoning behind your user’s actions and be better informed.
2. Mousestats: This tool provides a visual “visitor playback” of the user experience providing you with a complete analysis of exactly where your customers are clicking while on your site. Heat maps give you an indication of which buttons, banners, and forms work best.
3. Optimizely: With the help of Optimizely’s visual editor you are able to make changes to your site or app with ease and without any programming. Thanks to the Stats Engine you are clearly able to see the results of your tests.
4. Reactful: With Reactful you can be privy to knowing the intent of your visitors and react according to the empathy of your visitors. This will increase your chances of reaching your conversion goals. “Working with Reactful has provided a meaningful business impact, delivering 20% lead conversion growth on our corporate website“.
5. Banana Splash: Banana Splash is designed to help business turn mobile visitors into customers. This is accomplished with their custom layers and real-time personalized messages that magically convert them in just one click. If you are faced with the common issue of lots of traffic from mobile yet, your conversions are dropping, then it may be time to knock on Banana Splash’s door.
Now that you have built your store and got the traffic flowing in, how do you get people to actually buy the products? In the physical store they can see a 360 degree view of the product, feel it, and even try it on (if it’s a clothing item or shoes). With the help of technology, you can now bring most of this experience online as well. Here are five tools to help you get there:
1.3dbin.com: With 3DBin you are given the opportunity to create an interactive 360 degree view of any of your products. Take as many pictures as you like, upload to their website and voila a 360 degree object that is easy to share, attract customers and increase sales. If you do not have access to a professional photography use can just use their iOS app to send your clients and watch their amazement when they lay eyes on your product!
2. Sirv: Sirv creates an impressive image of your product and it creates 360 degree spins for your customers viewing pleasure. Deliver high resolution images to your website quickly and efficiently and please your customers with the images speed and quality. The images uploaded are available immediately and can be re-sized for any screen. The benefits to your team are great: time saving, faster and more efficient workflow among your team and the ability to store and organize all your files in one secure location.
3. Webyclip: Want to take your customers on a journey of your product line? With WebyClip you can access their #Videotized technology used by successful websites such as eBay. Just install WebClip’s widget onto any of your pages and watch your conversion rates climb!
4. Fits.me: Help your customers find the right fit. Try their revolutionary Virtual Fitting Room and Fit Recommendations assisting them on choosing the right size for their body. This is a different type of solution that reaches a whole new level of engagement and personalization. Fits.me analyzes the customer’s body type, physical makeup as well as preference.
5. Idomoo: A personalized video cloud-based platform that delivers customized real-time video. A truly revolutionary way to communicate with your customers. In fact, Idomoo says that they make video advertising, targeting and re-targeting easy on a large-scale. Their technology is also proving their success in the results. According to Idomoo they have seen a 15x higher ROI than any other digital marketing communication channel.
Reviews are another great way to help your customers feel secure about buying the right product for them. In fact, 88 percent of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. With the help of these tools, you can feature reviews from past buyers directly in the product page to increase the level of trust and help your customers know they are making the right choice.
1.Google My Business: This is a single location platform that allows you to manage your online presence. Including seeing reviews of your business, tracking your ratings over time and responding to reviews as the owner right on the dashboard. It is also possible to go directly to your channel via the dashboard.
2. Yotpo: The Yotpo tool enables you to generate more reviews that also allows you to increase your sales and build your community. The tool sends an automatic email to your customers following a purchasing encouraging them to submit a review. These reviews have proven to significantly increase site ranking on Google.
3. eRated: eRated review tool allows you to import your reviews from over 40 marketplaces and social networks like eBay and Amazon. eRated reviews and rating widgets have proven to boost sales by up to 150%.
4. PowerReviews: According to Forrester, 55% of online shoppers are likely to abandon their online purchase if they can’t find a quick answer to their question. This is where PowerReviews introduced Social Answers allowing you to provide fast answers to questions from your online shoppers. The Social Answers FAQ software is not like your typical Q&A, this is actually in the voice of the shopper. Included is keyword-rich content in order to improve your organic search traffic and assist your shoppers from honing in on their purchasing options.
5. TurnTo: Like they say, “a picture says a thousand words”. TurnTo really took this saying to heart and found a new well to pass over information with their visual reviews. 90% of their reviews are posted in response to an email request and more than 60% of emails are opened on phones. As a result, TurnTo decided to provide customers with the ability to respond by snapping a photo rather than typing a text review. Just like people enjoy sharing selfies so too Visual reviews allows customers to share moments like “unboxing” and gift-giving in order to act as “explainers”.
Have you ever been in a situation where you were at a store, collecting all your favorite items, then coming to the cashier to find a long queue? How frustrating is that? In the online world, the checkout and payment process is the most crucial step of the buying process. In fact, 44% of UK shoppers abandoned at least one online shopping transaction last year having become frustrated with the length and complexity of certain older forms of identity verification. Using technology to simplify the checkout and payment process is one investment that is bound to pay off.
1. Authorize.net: Authorize.net Payment Gateway provides you with complex and secure infrastructure in order to guarantee fast, reliable and secure transactions of data. Authorize.Net’s services are there to suit the needs of your brand, offering online, retail merchant, mail order/telephone and mobile solutions. Merchants can log into the secured website interface and can manage their transactions, account settings, view account statement, generate reports and more.
2. Zooz: A simple, single inclusive platform for all your platform needs. Their flexible solution, Smart Routing allows merchants to connect seamlessly and optimize all transactions in a secured manner. Zooz offers process payments via PayPal, the ever popular option. It offers and all around improved user experience, quick and easy payment options as well as multi-payment methods utilizing data parameters such as risk score, geo-location, and card type.
3. Stripe: Secure card details are transmitted with Stripe.js to Stripe via browsers. Enjoy the seamless integrated mobile payment option like Lyft, Postmates, OverAhead, Istacart and others that use Stripe’s native iOS and Android libraries on the go. You can also add Apple Pay or Android pay as well. See your transaction information in real-time, and freely export in various formats.
4. Blue Snap: Want to try out a revolutionary Checkout Conversion Calculator then you need to check out Blue Snap. According to Blue Snap you could be losing up to 42 % of your potential sales and not even realize it! Be sure to evaluate your checkout process today. This is a stress-free, easy checkout option that supports 180 countries, 110 payment types and 29 languages. With their BuyNow Hosted Checkout Pages customers benefit from localization options such as: local currencies, languages, and payment types.
5. Square Up: Square Up gives businesses the ability to securely swipe all types of major types of credit cards from any location with their Square magstripe reader. The reader accepts credit cards, gifts cards and even send invoices. In addition, you can also make quick deposits. See the deposits within only 1-2 business days. The customer support team is available by phone, email as well as Twitter so you can get answers on demand from their Support Center.
Acquiring customers is a hard and costly process for retailers. But once someone has bought from your brand, if re-engaged, they are more likely to return and buy again. Conversion rates for returning visitors can reach as high as twice of that of new visitors. As a marketer, your low hanging fruits are the customers who are already familiar and trust your brand and you should focus your efforts on engaging and re-engaging them with every channel available to you. Here are some tools you need to consider:
1. Digital Marketing Center (DMC): Teradata Marketing Applications’ Digital Marketing Center allows marketers to engage customers across Email, Mobile, Social, Web or any combination of these channels. It is a cloud-based, all-in-one integrated digital marketing platform that enables you to quickly and easily take full advantage of the many ways to communicate digitally with your customers. Like other marketing automation tools, DMC enables you to maximize your results and run your campaigns with efficiency and track performance. Use real-time data to build closer relationships with your customers
> Want to learn more about DMC? Get a free demo
2. ZenDesk: A tool that improves customer relationships. It offers various customer support options such as: chat and voice support as well as other apps and extensions to help reach your customers and receive feedback from them. Their extensive data and insights help build customer relationships that are more personal, relevant and productive.
3. Liveperson: Message your users via the channel of their choice. Not just that but make Liveperson offers engagements set up from anywhere and however you want- that means customized to your needs. Your consumers can contact you or start up a conversation with you when it is convenient for them. Their terms, their concerns, their needs. You can even engage with your consumers via mobile messaging, that’s right brand and consumer connect to offer the consumer the full experience of service.
4. Nanorep: At Nanorep they state that “over 50% do not purchase due to bad customer service experience”. This is why Nanorep sets out to provide a highly personalized, relevant and instant form of communication with their customer on all their pages and for every product. They offer their customers the ability to connect with them anytime, anywhere and via any device. In addition, customers have the ability to find answers on their own without being “passed off” to another channel. A unique approach to on-demand guidance assists Nanorep’s customers through their digital journey.
5. Verify: Build your own surveys and site back watch real people provide feedback on your site. You create the surveys and see how they respond. This can help you improve your conversion optimization by analyzing how your users are thinking and feeling when they click on your buttons and fill in your forms. The system does all the hard work therefore you don’t have to find test subjects of your own.
Do you want to get true insights of what visitors are doing on your website? Do you want to know what works and what doesn’t work? This is where analytic tools come into the picture.
1. Google Analytics: Google Analytics is the basic tool that marketers use to get a high level picture of what goes on in their website. To make it truly effective, you can use advanced features such as conversion tracking and goals setting. With mobile playing a strong part in any ecommerce strategy today, companies with mobile apps can also use Google Analytics for Mobile Apps in order to measure the impact their app is having on their business.
2. Kissmetrics: Kissmetrics according to ecommerce platforms, “is the first tool any website owner should install on their site, there are certain features that make them an absolute must on ecommerce sites”. So why is this? Their tool is the most comprehensive analytics solution. With their powerful analytics tool you are given the ability to receive vital information that as a result increases customer acquisition and retention rates. The information you receive is highly detailed which allows you to make more informed decision on layout and more.
3. Datorama: This is a platform that assists executives, analysts and professionals to manage and perform tasks based upon huge amounts of data. Datorama extracts what you need in order to make smarter decisions and yield positive results. This tool gives you the freedom to make real-time adjustments in media spend and resource allocation creates a map of all of your data within minutes, monitors KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) correlated with every marketing channel.
4. Cooladata: There is no need to have dedicated resources for analytics with CoolaData. CoolaData has the power to combine behavioral data with both external and internal sources. Their behavioral analytics is a cloud-based analysis service similar to the components of the Google Cloud Platform. The difference with this service is that the components are already assembled and there is no need to integrate the needed components. You can also implement your own applications via a SDK (software development kit) that is provided by CoolaData. It is also possible to connect to the data of other analysis tools such as Microsoft Excel.
5. Cyfe: Looking for a tool to monitor multiple websites, top referring domains, search engines and SEO keywords ranking? Cyfe is the all—in-one online business dashboard that helps you monitor all your data from one place. That includes: social media, analytics, marketing, sales, support, and infrastructure.
1. Zuznow: Zuznow works solely on HTML results that are sent to the mobile user in real-time. No API requirements and no interface with application code. Why do they do this? It’s because they are ensuring there will be no changes or modifications on the original web application. The secured information remained encrypted with the Zuznow platform. It is completely invisible to the eyes beyond their platform.
2. Shopgate: Shopgate offer the total mobile package. This package includes mobile web shops, iPhone & iPad Apps and Android Apps. Customize your mobile store design in just a few clicks. It’s that simple with Shopgate.
3. DMC Mobile: It is a powerful platform that created personalized mobile push and in-app messages, delivered to the right user, at the right time in the right way. Take advantage of push and in-app message, automated yet personalized messages for the most engaging solution for your customers.
4.Localz: A highly effective approach to bringing together the online and offline. By using beacon and other location technology you can help your customers find what they are looking for, claim coupons and engage with an in-store associate using their own smartphone. With 82% of smartphone users browsing and shopping via their mobile devices, this is quickly becoming a trend not to be ignored.
Localz is one of Teradata’s Marketing Applications partners. Learn more about how to integrate location-based marketing into your e-commerce strategy.
5. MobiCart: A user-friendly interface that works with or without an existing website. With MobiCart you have the ability to turn your mobile presence into a mobile storefront. Whether you have a physical store or not, MobiCart offers the full package of features that will help you boost sales, increase engagement and grow your business. It is affordable and boasts an easy-to-use app maker.
Over to You
Wow, that was quite a list. When I started out the research for this post, I did not imagine getting to as many as 45 ecommerce digital marketing tools! But research is only the first step, it is now up to you to decide which tools you’d like to implement.
Moreover, using the right tools without the right strategy in place will not get you far. Ecommerce customers expect a seamless experience across all channels – web, mobile, email and social. This is where an omni-channel digital marketing can help. To learn how to implement an omni-channel digital marketing strategy in your organization, download our free guide.
Latest posts by Yael Kochman (see all)
- Penguins, Pixels and More: Digital News Roundup October 2016 - October 5, 2016
- 5 Ultra Effective Email Marketing Strategies to Push You to The Top of The Class - September 5, 2016
- Visual Analytics – the Missing Link In Your Social Listening Strategy - August 15, 2016